The Us Campaign Champion Jamie Raskin Wins
• May 06, 2016
On April 26th Jamie Raskin won the Democratic primary in Maryland’s 8th Congressional District. He is one of the Us Campaign’s Champions and we are very excited to see him move on to the general election!
We supported Jamie Raskin because of his impressive reform record. Jamie Raskin:
- Introduced legislation requiring outside groups to disclose their spending in Maryland races.
- Supports a constitutional amendment to reverse Citizens United.
- Would support The Disclose Act.
- Would support The Government By The People Act.
- Helped restore the voting rights to ex-felons.
- Wrote legislation which lowered the voter registration age to 16.
The race for the 8th district was always going to be a tough one. The field was crowded and early on it looked like the front runners would be Jamie Raskin, who is well known in the area because of his work as a Maryland State Senator, and Kathleen Matthews who is a former local TV anchor and reporter.
However, late into the Primary, local business owner David Trone tossed his hat into the race, along with $12 million of his own money (that is the most a self funded House candidate has ever put into a race).
Jamie Raskin ran a grassroots citizen-focused campaign and was able to raise $2 million dollars by having a message focused on the need for comprehensive campaign finance reform and getting big money out of politics.
Congratulations Jamie! Onward to November!!